Powell Industries, Inc. Safety & Health Manager in Northlake, Illinois
Reporting to the Plant Manager, this person will be responsible for the planning, directing, and implementing of the organization’s Health & Safety initiatives to ensure safe, healthy, and accident-free work environments. This person will also provide technical safety & health support of the factory, implement health & safety instruction/objectives, drive safety & health training programs, ensure compliance to ISO-18001 and OSHA Voluntary Protection Program (VPP) Star guidelines, monitor factory initiatives, and provide support to operations personnel to ensure compliance with Federal, State, ISO, and Corporate health & safety regulations and standards.
· Designs / plans / coordinates / facilitates programs & training that support an environment of safety while building greater safety awareness and encouraging safe work practices throughout the organization.
· Facilitates and conducts analytical studies of industrial accidents to determine root cause and implement preventive actions.
· Document and inform management of issues, incidents, root causes, corrective actions, and preventive measures to be implemented.
· Report and document all incidents to appropriate personnel and appropriate government agencies.
· Engage employees in health & safety efforts via the safety team, ergonomics team, and other groups (as appropriate) to ensure a high level of employee engagement and focus on safety practices.
· Ensure facility compliance with all Federal and State regulations, as well as company health and safety policies.
· Implement and maintain ISO-18001 compliance.
· Participate in new product / process assessment to determine appropriate safety procedures, Personal Protective Equipment (PPE), etc.
· Administer ergonomics program.
· Collect and report monthly OHS statistics.
· Ensure all customer witness testing meets safety requirements.
· Ensure compliance to all safety procedures & guidelines.
· Promote safety and health awareness through internal company tools (e.g. email, newsletters, signage, intranet, etc.).
· Ensure all appropriate health & safety training is conducted and completed in a timely manner by all employees.
· This position may include additional tasks and functions, as necessary to fulfill this staff-level management role.
· Bachelor’s degree in Safety Management, Occupational Health and Safety, Industrial Engineering, or other related fields.
· Five years of manufacturing Health & Safety experience is preferred, especially with Industrial Hygiene and/or Occupational Health & Safety (OHS).
· Certified Safety Professional (CSP) and/or other certifications are strongly preferred (e.g. First Aid, HAZWOPER, OSHA 30, CEAS, etc.).
· Ability to engage with appropriate levels of government and corporate representatives on topics relative to health & safety.
· Ability to effectively write, speak and generally communicate to engage employees, management, and others in a productive and credible manner.
· Strong knowledge of industry accepted safety practices, including OSHA (Occupational Safety & Health Administration) and state-level regulations.
· Strong understanding of Workers’ Compensation and Return to Work programs.
· Understanding of electrical safety, including OSHA 1910 and NFPA 70E (National Fire Protection Association’s Standard for Electrical Safety in the Workplace).
· Strong planning and organizational skills – project management and/or process management experience is a plus.
· Intermediate level computer skills (e.g. MS-Office Suite, database software, etc.).
· Must be able to perform reasonable physical tasks in industrial factory environment.
· Sound exercise of judgment, persuasiveness and tact necessary to oversee the administration of health and safety activities.
· Positive, “can-do”, professional approach; ability to work effectively at all levels within the organization, often involving difficult or conflict situations.
· Temperature controlled working environment. Some outside activities may be required.
· This position is expected to travel approximately 5-10% and must be able to travel with short notice and/or for extended periods of time.
· Maintaining body equilibrium and agility to prevent falling when walking, standing, crouching, ascending or descending stairs.
· Bending the body at the waist, the legs at the knees, and extending arms and hands in any direction in a repetitive manner.
· Standing, walking, and speaking for long periods of time.
· Using upper extremities to apply or exert a force up to 20 lbs.
· Typing, punching or applying pressure to an object with fingers and palm.
· Perceiving size, shape, temperature or texture by touching with the fingertips.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability, you have the right to request a reasonable accommodation if you are unable or limited in your ability to use the careers site as a result of your disability. To request an accommodation, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or call 713-378-2685 and let us know the nature of your request and provide your contact information. Please do not direct any other general employment related questions to this email and/or phone number. Only inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this e-mail address and/or phone number. EOE including Disability/Protected Veterans
Powell Industries, Inc.
- Powell Industries, Inc. Jobs