Woodward Inc OPERATIONS MANAGER in Niles, Illinois
Reporting to the Director or Vice President, this position is responsible for the operations with business scope of some complexity, as defined key internal customers (e.g. A&T, Production Engineering, etc). This position accomplishes objectives through leading a multi-disciplined team to achieve operational excellence in support of company visions and strategies, including On-Time Delivery, Delivered Quality, productivity improvement/cost reductions, OEM aftermarket lead-time requirements, and driving performance success across the organizational unit.
- Responsible for the production process through a group of leaders.
- Optimizes strategy and approaches to life cycle management, field reliability, customer issues, and product improvement through collaboration with other departments.
- Accountable for maintenance and adherence to all related work instructions (i.e. safety rules, BDDS, etc.) and documentation.
- Primary representative of all responsible functional areas with internal and external customers and suppliers.
- Ensures compliance with company policies and procedures.
- Supports Quality System requirements (e.g. ISO 9001, AS9100, ISO 14000, NADCAP) and applicable FARS/DARS/EASA (or equivalent) that would be required for repair station activities.
- Fosters a commitment to continuous improvement (i.e. defines improvement goals, establishes accountability through SQDRC metrics, uses Six Sigma tools and techniques to continuously improve processes and business results, and establishes a mindset within Operations to document and control processes consistent with ISO requirements, promotes safety and housekeeping; uses facilitative leadership). Drive and implement strategies in support of WLES (Woodward Lean Enterprise System)/PLC (Product Life Cycle).
- Synchronizes customer requirements/demand, new product introduction, operations planning production, assembly and test.
- Leads talent management initiatives (development plans and performance management).
- Identifies and plans for the following Operations staff needs: communication, manpower planning/staffing, training and development, member appraisal process, coaching, etc.
- Develops budget, monitors and controls department expenses, capital, and operating plans.
- May participate as a key member of other leadership teams (e.g. Mechanical Manufacturing, Development Engineering, Manufacturing Engineering, or Production Engineering).
- Aligns individual and team/departmental goals to support overall organizational goals. Motivate and recognize members on achievements.
- Responsible for creating a vision for the organizational unit, articulates the vision, and relentlessly drives the vision to completion.
- Responsible for assisting in the creation and implementation of competitive and breakthrough strategies and plans. Fosters innovation within functional area.
- Interfaces with a wider global management team to influence overall strategy and direction as well as impacting overall business unit performance.
- Responsible for the organization design and implementation of an appropriate structure for current and future business strategies.
- May participate in business group or enterprise-wide projects.
- May be responsible for facilities, security, etc.
- May be required to travel domestic or international.
- Strong operations focus; proven ability to lead and manage with the following attributes: Six Sigma methodology Successful track record in a lean manufacturing environment Stringent quality standards Progressive/contemporary operational concepts and practices
- Excellent organizational skills; appropriate prioritization and delegation to meet specific functional area goals.
- Demonstrated experience and successful results leading continuous improvement activities through strong team-building and problem-solving.
- Exposure and understanding to other functional areas (i.e. Engineering, Operations, Project Management, Material Management, Sales).
- Basic knowledge of manufacturing engineering principles, processes and tools. Knowledge of operations processes and controls associated with them for which he/she is responsible (e.g. Electrical Mfg, Special Processes, A&T, etc).
- Ability to design, implement, and coordinate strategic activities within operational unit and across other product families and departments.
- Displays organizational savvy and comfort with top management.
- Results oriented; drives self and others to obtain desired results.
- Ability to communicate a compelling and inspired vision and sense of core purpose for the organizational unit; creates mileposts and symbols to rally support behind the vision.
- Possesses understanding of business model, strategic goals, and operations relationships to develop appropriate goals and objectives. Ability to understand the total business picture and effectively collaborate with other business functions as required.
- Able and willing to challenge the status quo and effectively champions change, both internal and external, to functional areas.
- Expert knowledge of the WLES and PLC. Understand how the areas of their business fit into the WLES/PLC and be able to mentor the team to provide the most impact.
- Thorough understanding of applicable quality system, customer requirements and operational compliance requirements (e.g. ISO 9001, AS9100, ISO 14000, NADCAP, FAA, ITAR).
- Excellent Project Management skills.
- Excellent communication skills both written and verbal. Ability to communicate effectively with both internal and external customers; members; direct reports; peers, leadership staff.
- Strong financial and quantitative analysis skills.
- Solid negotiation and influencing skills; strong interpersonal skills and approachability.
- Proven leadership qualities, including the ability to attract, develop, and retain an outstanding team of performers. Ability to get job done through others.
- Practical and results-oriented; ability to be effective within a matrix structure.
- Demonstrated strong leadership skills, ability to motivate teams, manage conflict, facilitate and demonstrated ability to resolve complex issues.
- Excellent knowledge of business computer systems and PC tools(e.g. WISE, SAP, MS Office).
Education or Formal Training
- Bachelor Degree in technical field or business (or international equivalent)
- M.B.A. desired.
- Six Sigma training (i.e. Champions training) desired.
- Experience in a “lean enterprise” environment preferred.
- Minimum five years of related operations leadership/supervision/management experience in manufacturing environment.
- Demonstrated track record and ability to plan for and apply emerging trends in manufacturing excellence.
Woodward is an independent designer, manufacturer, and service provider of control solutions for the aerospace and energy markets. Our aerospace systems and components optimize the performance of fixed wing and rotorcraft platforms in commercial, business and military aircraft, ground vehicles and other equipment. Our energy-related systems and components enhance the performance of industrial gas and steam turbines, reciprocating engines, compressors, wind turbines, electrical grids and other energy-related industrial equipment. The company’s innovative fluid energy, combustion control, electrical energy, and motion control systems help customers offer cleaner, more reliable and more efficient equipment. Our customers include leading original equipment manufacturers and end users of their products.
Woodward is an Equal Opportunity Employer
This position requires use of information which is subject to the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) and the Export Administration Regulations (EAR). All applicants must be U.S. persons within the meaning of ITAR and EAR, or possess all required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State Department and the U.S. Department of Commerce. ITAR defines a U.S. person as a U.S. Citizen, U.S. Permanent Resident (i.e. 'Green Card Holder'), Political Asylee, or Refugee.
Job: Operations Management
Primary Location: United States-Illinois-Niles
Schedule: FULL TIME
Shift: 1st Shift / Day Job
Job Posting: Nov 12, 2020, 3:51:06 PM
Req ID: 2001160