Argonne National Laboratory Sr. Linux Systems Administrator in Lemont, Illinois
Sr. Linux Systems Administrator
Requisition Number: 408447 Location: Lemont, IL
Functional Area: Information Technology Division: CLS-Computing, Environment and Life Sciences
Employment Category: Regular Shift: 8:30 - 5:00
Level (Grade): PT3 Share: Facebook LinkedIn Twitter
The CELS Systems Group's primary mission is to operate a computing environment that facilitates the research that is being carried out within the divisions of the Computing, Environment, and Life Sciences directorate. We design, build, and maintain the computing environment, tackle problems, and work with the user community. The CELS Systems group also researches the advancement and optimization of Systems Administration and develops tools to that end.
As a member of CELS Systems, participates in the technical operation and support of the CELS directorate computing infrastructure and high-performance computing (HPC) facilities in order to enhance the productivity of the scientific staff, administrative staff, and research colleagues. With technical staff and colleagues at other labs and universities, assists with the coordination of similar systems. Special emphasis of this position is to lead efforts in building and maintaining our Linux and Solaris servers, running and maintaining common services (mailing lists, NFS, tape backup, web services), managing virtual machine infrastructure, assisting in HPC resource management and maintenance, creating technical documentation for end-users and internal use, and general day-to-day support activities of the Systems group
Ideal tools to have experience with (Preferred, but not required):
- Tivoli Storage Manager (TSM)
- Singularity or other userspace container technologies
- Jenkins or other CI tools
- git (Gitlab management preferred)
Comprehensive knowledge of UNIX systems administration, particularly Linux, additionally beneficial is knowledge of Solaris.
- Comprehensive knowledge of and expertise in networked file systems including NFS, and SMB. Additionally, knowledge of ZFS or GPFS would be beneficial.
- Comprehensive knowledge of and expertise in systems administration tools (Nagios, syslog-ng, Ganglia) and scripting/coding languages (Perl, Python, C, PHP, shell).
- Considerable knowledge of and expertise in network design and administration, and of networking technologies such as TCP/IP and related protocols.
- Considerable knowledge of virtualization and container technologies such as VMWare, Docker, or Kubernetes. Additionally, knowledge of other virtualization and cloud technologies such as Singularity, KVM, and AWS are beneficial.
- Considerable Problem-solving and learning skills. Skills conducting problem triage and communicating with internal customers about potential solutions.
- Good familiarity with the hardware and software of mass storage systems and technologies used such as RAID, iSCSI, Fibre Channel.
- Knowledge of IT services such as Confluence/Jira, Wordpress, and ServiceNow or other ticketing systems.
- Knowledge of compiling software written in languages such as C, C++, and Fortran.
- Knowledge of debugging and tracing tools, strace, ltrace, ptrace.
- Flexibility in dealing with assignments and working on several projects simultaneously. Ability to think and work effectively in an environment that has rapidly shifting and often contradictory demands and priorities.
- Strong interest in emerging technologies and applications, and an ability to apply them to the computing environment.
- Strong Interest in working with the scientific staff and users to aid and instruct how to use the HPC resources optimally.
This role can be hired at either a PT2 or a PT3, and the requirements for each are as follows:
- PT2: Bachelor’s degree + 2 years of experience, or equivalent
- PT3: Bachelor’s Degree + 4 years of experience, or a Master’s +2 years of experience, or equivalent
As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, and in accordance with our core values of impact, safety, respect, integrity and teamwork, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne encourages minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities to apply for employment. Argonne considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
Argonne employees, and certain guest researchers and contractors, are subject to particular restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1. You will be asked to disclose any such participation in the application phase for review by Argonne’s Legal Department.
Argonne National Laboratory
- Argonne National Laboratory Jobs