Argonne National Laboratory D&D Health Physicist in Lemont, Illinois
D&D Health Physicist
Requisition Number: 409166 Location: Lemont, IL
Functional Area: Safety and Quality Assurance Division: NWM-Nuclear and Waste Management
Employment Category: Regular Shift: 8:30 - 5:00
Level (Grade): PT4 Share: Facebook LinkedIn Twitter
Argonne National Laboratory is searching for a talented Health Physicist to join its Radiological Protection Program. This role provides operational and technical health physics support for the laboratory including planning, implementing, and supervising radiation protection activities for work with ionizing radiation. Additionally, this Health Physicist supports activities associated with Argonne’s D&D efforts across the laboratory. As the Health Physicist, you will prevent or minimize exposure to onsite personnel, the surrounding public, and the environment while ensuring compliance with applicable regulations.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Experience:
- Knowledge of health physics and radiation protection theory and practice, the measurement and analysis of ionizing radiation and radioactivity, radiation protection standards, emergency response, and decontamination and disposal procedures are required.
- Knowledge of state-of-the-art detection and quantification instrumentation.
- Knowledge of shielding design techniques, methods for contamination control, and ALARA principles are required.
- Knowledge of MARSSIM and experience in supporting D&D projects as a health physicist.
- Ability to apply health physics principles to the operational demands of a research and development organization.
- Proven oral and written skills to effectively communicate problems and solutions to workers and management.
- Ability to make judgments and decisions and to maintain interpersonal relations is essential.
- Degree in Health Physics, Engineering or Physics desired.
- CHP is desired but not required.
- Ability to model Argonne’s Core Values: Impact, Safety, Respect, Integrity, and Teamwork.
This position description documents the general nature and level of work but is not intended to be a comprehensive list of all activities, duties and responsibilities required of job incumbent. Consequently, job incumbent may be required to perform other duties as assigned.
The selected candidate will be placed at the appropriate level (PT4 or PT5) dependent upon depth and breadth of relevant knowledge and skills brought to the position, as well as the amount of relevant experience. The requirements of the various levels are as follows:
- At a PT4 Level: Bachelor’s and 6+ years or equivalent, some occupations may require graduate degree and 4+ years or equivalent
- At a PT5 Level: Bachelor’s and 10+ years or equivalent, some occupations may require graduate degree and 6+ years or equivalent
Argonne National Laboratory is a multidisciplinary science and engineering research center, where talented scientists, engineers, and business professionals work together to answer the biggest questions facing humanity, from how to obtain affordable clean energy to protecting ourselves and our environment. Ever since we were born out of the University of Chicago’s work on the Manhattan Project in the 1940s, our goal has been to make an impact — from the atomic to the human to the global scale.
At Argonne, we explore the world together in order to build a better one!
As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, and in accordance with our core values of impact, safety, respect, integrity and teamwork, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne encourages minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities to apply for employment. Argonne considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
Argonne employees, and certain guest researchers and contractors, are subject to particular restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Sponsored or Affiliated Activities, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation in the application phase for review by Argonne's Legal Department.
All Argonne offers of employment are contingent upon a background check that includes an assessment of criminal conviction history conducted on an individualized and case-by-case basis. Please be advised that Argonne positions require upon hire (or may require in the future) for the individual be to obtain a government access authorization that involves additional background check requirements. Failure to obtain or maintain such government access authorization could result in the withdrawal of a job offer or future termination of employment.
Argonne National Laboratory
- Argonne National Laboratory Jobs