Argonne National Laboratory Assistant Biological Data Modeler in Lemont, Illinois
Assistant Biological Data Modeler
Requisition Number: 408999 Location: Lemont, IL
Functional Area: Research and Development Division: BIO-Biosciences
Employment Category: Temporary 6 Months or Greater Shift: 8:30 - 5:00
Level (Grade): RD1 Share: Facebook LinkedIn Twitter
The mission of the Biosciences Division is to conduct multidisciplinary research on fundamental biological processes focusing on environmental microbiology, microbial communities and dynamics, and microbial evolution. Underlying this is an emphasis on the control, management and evolution of information in biological systems and how to manipulate that information enabling important advances in environmental protection and remediation, energy production and sustainability, and human health and welfare.
We invite you to apply for an Assistant Biological Data Modeler position to assist with modeling efforts associated with a multitude of biological studies that are incorporating AI approaches with datasets of considerable size and complexity.
Under general supervision, the data specialist will assist staff scientists in supporting the computational needs of multi-omics and high-throughput experimental pipelines (at ANL and elsewhere; many projects involve inter-laboratory collaborations). Increasingly, projects are implementing approaches for analyses that include statistical modeling, machine learning, and artificial intelligence. The division seeks to be on the cutting edge of this field. Research familiarity is required with computational tools applied in molecular biology, microbiology, biochemistry, and metabolic engineering. Experience with wrangling, cleansing, and structuring of data for use in machine learning approaches is essential. Strong interpersonal skills are needed for collaborative projects that involve interaction with teams of scientists at ANL, at other national laboratories, and at industrial partners throughout the country engaged in biomanufacturing. This appointment will allow, with time and desire, independence and the ability to start independent research and/or broader program development.
- Skill and ability in problem-solving, analytical, and learning skills.
- Strong organizational and time management skills including the ability to prioritize, organize and handle multiple assignments simultaneously in a fast paced environment, while being detail oriented and using sound independent judgment to accomplish tasks.
- Knowledge of research techniques and methods required.
- Ability to model Argonne’s Core Values: Impact, Safety, Respect, Integrity, and Teamwork.
- Ability to work successfully independently and in a team environment and collaborate with peers.
- Ability to successfully train others.
- Interpersonal and communication skills required to interact effectively, tactfully and discreetly with all internal/external contacts and to develop effective working relationships.
- Proficiency in either one or more programming languages (e.g. R, Perl and/or Python) and machine learning/ visualization libraries (e.g. numpy, pandas, scikit-learn, matplotlib, ggplot2).
- Proficiency in structured query languages used for LIMS (e.g. Oracle and PostgreSQL).
- Sound understanding of data types generated by multi-omics and high-throughput biology.
- Bachelor's Degree or a Master's degree
- Master’s degree in a physical or life science preferred.
- At least 2 years of relevant experience preferred.
This position description documents the general nature and level of work but is not intended to be a comprehensive list of all activities, duties and responsibilities required of job incumbent. Consequently, job incumbent may be required to perform other duties as assigned.
Argonne employees, and certain guest researchers and contractors, are subject to particular restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1. You will be asked to disclose any such participation in the application phase for review by Argonne’s Legal Department.
As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, and in accordance with our core values of impact, safety, respect, integrity and teamwork, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne encourages minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities to apply for employment. Argonne considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
Argonne employees, and certain guest researchers and contractors, are subject to particular restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Sponsored or Affiliated Activities, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation in the application phase for review by Argonne's Legal Department.
Argonne National Laboratory
- Argonne National Laboratory Jobs