Progress Rail Services Corp. Engineer, Strategic Sourcing in La Grange, Illinois
EMD HQ LaGrange, IL - 400
The Strategic Sourcing Engineer is the technical owner of the supply chain versus internal capability assessment, including design/make/buy strategy. The Senior Strategic Sourcing Engineer assesses the design and manufacturing capabilities of Progress Rail versus suppliers and drives alignment of drawings and functional specifications to optimize cost versus investments.
Progress Rail, a Caterpillar company, is an integrated rolling stock and infrastructure provider, delivering a full range of products and services to domestic and international railroad customers. Our customers enjoy one-stop shopping and comprehensive cradle-to-grave railway solutions - whether it rolls on the rail or is the rail itself. From locomotives, transit, freight cars and engines, to tracks, signals and advanced technology, we ensure customers can count on us to meet all their rail needs.
Forging the bridge between ideas and success, our talented and innovative team members work together to address the challenges of the rail industry today, ensuring success for the future. As part of a vibrant, global network of business operations, each and every member of our team is important to our success. With headquarters in Albertville, Ala., more than 7,000 dedicated employees serve customers through a network of close to 150 locations around the world. For more information, visit www.progressrail.com and follow us @Progress_Rail on Twitter and YouTube.
Education / Training:
• BS in Engineering.
• Masters in Engineering.
Strategic Sourcing Engineer
Key Job Elements:
• Technical lead for strategic sourcing initiatives for a particular commodity;
• Technical owner of supply chain vs internal capacity assessment;
• Identify cost and process improvement opportunities;
• Create and communicate business cases to management;
• Cross functional project management of approved strategic sourcing projects by assuring resources, timing, scope and deliverables are clearly defined and managed as well as controlling project budget;
• Identify and manage project risks;
• Lead implementation of should costing programs;
• Provide input in design phase for supplier/plant manufacturability and supply base capability;
• Define part/supplier validation requirements;
• Review & approve part/supplier technical validation;
• Develop and maintain process and procedures for strategic sourcing engineer;
• Travel as required to perform duties;
• Accept special assignments as needed.
Qualifications and Experience:
• Minimum 5-7 years of Engineering experience, preferably in a field with focus on capital intensive, highly engineering, long life cycle product line;
• Experience in successfully managing people, projects and/or programs;
• High level of analytical ability to assess, identify and facilitate appropriate alternative courses of action;
• Highly developed written and verbal communication;
• Excellent conflict resolution skills;
• Ability to travel as required.
• Previous experience interfacing with suppliers.
Equal Opportunity Employer – Race/Color/Sex/Religion/National Origin/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Vets/Disabilities
Progress Rail Services Corporation and its subsidiary and affiliate companies offer an excellent total compensation package* including competitive salary, 401(k) plan with company match, available medical/dental/vision/life/disability insurance along with flexible spending and paid vacation and holidays. Relocation assistance may be available for some positions.
*Benefits eligibility differs by job position and employment status - governing plan documents control such benefits..
Alternative Work Location:
Progress Rail Services Corp.
- Progress Rail Services Corp. Jobs