Jabil EDM Specialist in Gurnee, Illinois
Do you want to join one of the World's Most Admired Companies? Are you looking to be part of a dynamic and growing organization, who's company culture is centered on empowering its employees to make decisions? As one of the world's largest electronic manufacturing & supply chain logistics companies, Jabil is focused on hiring the best people!
EDM specialists perform a role that consists of a variety of tasks that are vital to the moldmaking process. It requires highly skilled hands on machining capability and excellent planning/communication skills to ensure that the many components going through the EDM process come together in the designated timeline so that the customer due date is hit. An extensive overall knowledge of plastic injection molds and blueprint reading to recognize the importance of dimensional accuracies, seal-offs and finishes are required for this area. The EDM Specialist has a role to do what it takes to get the most unattended runtime as quick as possible without jeopardizing quality. EDM specialists must have the knowledge of measuring equipment such as indicators, comparators, toolmaker scopes, micrometers and sine plates. EDM specialists must have the ability to follow instructions and communicate between other operators to ensure top quality with little downtime between all rotating shifts.
· Perform hands on machining tasks on the EDM machine to achieve top quality in a timely manner. Use blueprints, CAD files, written, and verbal work instructions while operating the equipment in a safe manner at the skill levels required in achieving required dimensional accuracy and productivity.
· Actively monitor the quality of components through out the process. Verifying the quality of all components being manufactured through the EDM process is a significant part of your job responsibility.
· Take personal ownership of all components being processed through the department to ensure the mold delivery.
· Communicate with department group leader any concerns or issues that may jeopardize quality or completion date of mold.
· Communicate with department group leader any machine issues that could affect safety or function of equipment.
· Review blueprints and set up sheets to get a full understanding of the requirements of the component being processed.
· Take initiative to learn the critical dimensions, seal-offs, mold finishes and other features that may require special attention to achieve the proper finish.
· Interface with CNC machining, designers, programmers, polishers, moldmakers, and other personnel to assist in the routing, planning, work instructions, problem solving, and expediting of mold components on assigned jobs.
· Be aware of the status of the incoming components that will be going through the EDM process so that the delivery timeline is met. Prepare the next component while the current component is in process.
· Have the knowledge and ability to work with a System 3r robot.
· Log into Vantage making sure to log into the correct job#, component and operation you are working on. When you complete an operation, mark the operation complete in Vantage.
· Log location of electrodes in access with the correct draw number. Check off the EDM box when the electrode has gone through all the pieces.
· Wash up pieces and place on completed shelf in EDM unless another department has been inquiring about the pieces, then bring to other department asap.
· Train, guide, and monitor others as requested by department group leader.
· Keep area and equipment clean and in excellent running condition.
· Participate in continuous improvements efforts to improve shop operations and moldmaking process.
· Other shop maintenance, repairs, and miscellaneous tasks as requested.
Skills and Abilities:
· Excellent hands on machining skills on EDM machines and the ability to communicate effectively.
· Excellent measurement and analytical skills to accurately measure cores and cavities with many types of tools to tolerances as close as .00005”
· Excellent knowledge of molds design types including components such as cores, cavities, slides, stripper rings, inserts, etc.
· Basic CAD capabilities to interrogate files and review the mold designs.
· Good working knowledge of machine programming
· Basic computer skills
Jabil, including its subsidiaries, is an equal opportunity employer and considers qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identify, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability, you have the right to request a reasonable accommodation if you are unable or limited in your ability to use or access Jabil.com/Careers site as a result of your disability. You can request a reasonable accommodation by sending an e-mail to Always_Accessible@Jabil.com or by calling 1.727.803.7515 with the nature of your request and contact information. Please do not direct any other general employment related questions to this e-mail or phone number. Please note that only those inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this e-mail address and/or phone number.