University of Chicago Sr. Software Engineer (Front-End) in Chicago, Illinois
RINL Globus Software Engineering & Operations
About the Department
Globus (www.globus.org) delivers software-as-a-service (SaaS) and platform-as-a-service (PaaS) products that support data-intensive research at non-profit institutions and commercial enterprises around the world. Our services are used by over 100,000 researchers to manage data throughout the research lifecycle. We operate as a sustainable, non-profit organization within The University of Chicago. We have offices located at 401 North Michigan Ave., in the heart of downtown Chicago, and Argonne National Laboratory in Chicago’s western suburbs.
- Architecture and Design - lead and/or participate in the definition and documentation of requirements, architecture and design of complex systems, based on knowledge of relevant software technologies being developed and/or used in commercial and scientific communities.
- Software Development - develop, test, document, deploy and maintain high-quality software. Maintain and develop Globus web application (current application is ember.js application).
- Support - work in close collaboration with the Globus front line support and professional services teams, and directly with end users, to provide technical support services.
- Research - participate in and contribute to research efforts related to the software, including collecting and analyzing data, and writing research papers for journals or conferences.
- Team Coordination and Professional Development - maintain a working knowledge of relevant software technologies being developed and/or used in scientific and commercial communities. Participate in team coordination and development activities, including project planning, project reporting, technical presentations, recruitment, training new staff, and mentoring junior software developers and students.
- Works with stakeholders to gather and analyze requirements for developmental programs. Receives a moderate level of guidance to design applications to meet University and business requirements.
- Performs code testing on components and works to ensure that appropriate implementation standards are met. Evaluates design alternatives for development cost and solutions using various methods.
- Performs other work as needed.
Minimum requirements include a college or university degree in related field.
Minimum requirements include knowledge and skills developed through 2-5 years of work experience in a related job discipline.
- Bachelor's degree in computer science or another relevant computer related field, or at least six years of professional programming experience.
- Advanced degree in computer science or another relevant computer related field.
- 5+ years of professional experience in software engineering and delivering large scale systems.
- Practice of Node.js-based build, development, and packaging tools (e.g. Bower, Broccoli, Express, Grunt, npm).
- Participation with unit and integration testing tools (e.g. PhantomJS, QUnit, Test’em).
- Involvement with a distributed version control system (e.g. Git, Mercurial).
- Web security technologies (e.g. SSL/TLS, OAuth2, OpenID Connect and PKI).
- HTTP servers (e.g., Apache, NGINX).
- REST services.
- Contributing to an open source project.
- Shell scripting (e.g., Bash).
- Agile (e.g. Scrum) development processes.
- Cloud Computing (e.g. AWS, Azure, Google Cloud).
- Team/technical lead or project owner skills.
- Exposure to fundamental concepts, practices, and procedures of software development.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Problem solving skills.
- Use standard software development applications and tools.
- Prioritize and manage workload to meet critical project milestones and deadlines.
- Work in a collaborative team environment.
- Attention to detail.
- Confidentiality related to sensitive University matters such as, strategic initiatives, trade secrets, quiet periods, and scientific discoveries yet to be put in the public domain.
- Work on a flexible schedule, which will include occasional late night and/or weekend hours.
- Resume/CV (required)
When applying, the document(s) MUST be uploaded via the My Experience page, in the section titled Resume/CV of the application.
Scheduled*_ Weekly Hours_*
Drug Test Required
Health Screen Required
Motor Vehicle Record Inquiry Required
The University of Chicago is anAffirmative Action/Equal Opportunity/Disabled/Veterans Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, status as an individual with a disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or other protected classes under the law. For additional information please see theUniversity's Notice of Nondiscrimination.
Staff Job seekers in need of a reasonable accommodation to complete the application process should call 773-702-5800 or submit a request viaApplicant Inquiry Form.
We seek a diverse pool of applicants who wish to join an academic community that places the highest value on rigorous inquiry and encourages a diversity of perspectives, experiences, groups of individuals, and ideas to inform and stimulate intellectual challenge, engagement, and exchange.
All offers of employment are contingent upon a background check that includes a review of conviction history. A conviction does not automatically preclude University employment. Rather, the University considers conviction information on a case-by-case basis and assesses the nature of the offense, the circumstances surrounding it, the proximity in time of the conviction, and its relevance to the position.
The University of Chicago's Annual Security & Fire Safety Report (Report) provides information about University offices and programs that provide safety support, crime and fire statistics, emergency response and communications plans, and other policies and information. The Report can be accessed online at: http://securityreport.uchicago.edu. Paper copies of the Report are available, upon request, from the University of Chicago Police Department, 850 E. 61st Street, Chicago, IL 60637.
- Posted Yesterday
- Full time