General Electric Software Engineer in Chicago, Illinois
Job Description Summary
Responsible for designing, building, delivering and maintaining software applications & services. Working in the areas of machine, cloud, platform and/or application. Responsible for software lifecycle including activities such as requirement analysis, documentation/procedures and implementation.
GE Healthcare is a leading global medical technology and digital solutions innovator. Our Digital organization is structured around three major areas: Products & Platform, Go to Market and Centers of Excellence.
Roles and Responsibilities
In this role, you will:
• Collaborate with system engineers, frontend developers and software developers to implement solutions that are aligned with and extend shared platforms and solutions
• Apply principles of SDLC and methodologies like Lean/Agile/XP, CI, Software and Product Security, Scalability, Documentation Practices, refactoring and Testing Techniques
• Writes codes that meets standards and delivers desired functionality using the technology selected for the project
• Build features such as web services and Queries on existing tables
• Understand performance parameters and assess application performance
• Work on core data structures and algorithms and implement them using language of choice
Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or similar discipline with minimum 2 years of experience
Technical Expertise :
• Strong knowledge of Object-Oriented Analysis and Design, Software Design Patterns, and coding principles
• Experience in server technologies, such as web services or microservices, server-side frameworks (Spring, REST), containerization technologies (Docker, Kubernetes), cloud technologies
• Experience with databases (MS SQL, PostgreSQL, or similar) and database technologies (JPA, Hibernate, JDBC, Spring Data)
• Experience with rules engines and messaging services (Camel, AMQP) & modern tooling (Gradle, Maven, Git, SVN)
• Knowledge of medical standards and communication protocols (DICOM, HL7/FHIR, IHE profiles) and quality management systems
• Awareness of methods and practices such as Lean/Agile/XP, etc.
• Prior work experience in an agile environment, or introductory training on Lean/Agile. Aware of and able to apply continuous integration (CI).
• General understanding of the impacts of technology choice to the software development life cycle.
• Has the ability to break down problems and estimate time for development tasks.
• Completes assigned tasks on time and with high quality. Takes independent responsibility for assigned deliverables.
• Voices opinions and presents clear rationale. Uses data or factual evidence to influence.
• Understands the technology landscape, identifies opportunities for innovation and brings new ideas to the team. Takes the initiative to experiment with new software frameworks.
• Seeks to understand problems thoroughly before implementing solutions. Asks questions to clarify requirements when ambiguities are present.
• Adapts to new environments and changing requirements. Pivots quickly as needed. When coached, responds to need & seeks info from other sources
• Writes code that meets standards and delivers desired functionality using the technology selected for the project
GE offers a great work environment, professional development, challenging careers, and competitive compensation. GE is an Equal Opportunity Employer (https://assets.phenompeople.com/CareerConnectResources/GE11GLOBAL/en_global/desktop/assets/images/poster_screen_reader_optimized_w_supplement.pdf) . Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
GE will only employ those who are legally authorized to work in the United States for this opening. Any offer of employment is conditioned upon the successful completion of a drug screen (as applicable).
Relocation Assistance Provided: No
- General Electric Jobs