Jensen Hughes Inc. Senior Consultant - Public Safety SME in Chicago, Illinois
Jensen Hughes is seeking talented Senior Consultants, Project Managers and Subject Matter Experts with excellent communication skills and expert knowledge in public safety. Successful candidates must have a collaborative and transformational mindset as they join a team of highly competent professionals all committed to improving public safety management, with a focus on helping agencies engage with their communities, provide technical assistance in the areas of public safety assessments, conduct staffing analyses, and assist with critical issue management. The position joins a service line and law Enforcement Consulting practice (previously legacy Hillard Heinze company) assisting Federal, State and Local law enforcement agencies and their communities. Over the past 10 years, our team has taken on the many challenges of modern policing, ranging from addressing reform in agencies in crisis, assessing specific operational issues within agencies, advancing professional policing programs and helping great agencies excel. If you are interested in joining a team of dynamic professionals who have engaged clients on the key issues of our day – look no further.
Since 1939, we have been at the leading edge of safety, security and risk-based engineering and consulting, serving the most complex global projects. In addition, we pride ourselves on driving code and standard development and adoption throughout the world and across industries. We planted our roots with a commitment to earning your trust and protecting lives, property and reputation. Today, we continue to work at the forefront of the professional services industry in safety, security and risk-based science, engineering and consulting. Our Company Purpose + Principles honor our past while looking to the future. The range of services we provide are how we achieve our Purpose: to make our world safe, secure and resilient. This Purpose and commitments within each of four Principles (People, Industry, Clients, Performance) reflect our company culture and how we serve our clients within the world we work and live today.
The ideal candidate(s) will have experience in public safety operations, policy and/or building partnerships with the police and communities they serve. Demonstrable experience in transforming police policies, practices and procedures to promote accountability while working in diverse communities is a base requirement, as is the appropriate educational background, with a graduate level degree preferred. Microsoft skills are a requirement, with robust proficiency in the use of Microsoft Word.
SMEs must be able to provide insight and technical assistance to the clients that we serve on a wide range of public safety and policing issues and must be able to demonstrate direct knowledge of and expertise in addressing these issues. Some of these topics, as well as some of the requisite knowledge, skills, and expertise a successful candidate must possess, are as follow:
• Possess a broad range of public safety experience that demonstrates a thorough understanding of the complex issues and strategic solutions our clients need assessed and addressed, to include areas such as: public safety policies, procedures and operations; the use of data to help direct staffing and operational priorities; collaborating with external agencies and organizations to deliver innovate service delivery; the use of social media as communications tools; and designing, developing and delivering training.
• Experience with engaging with members of diverse and/or marginalized communities to address issues of concern and the ability to understand how those issues can be addressed.
• Specific subject matter expertise that is critical to public safety consulting, such as management experience, the implementation of multidisciplinary approaches that address the root causes of crime or social disorder, facilitating community interactions with law enforcement agencies, etc.
• Experience in leading and managing multiple large projects at the same time, while leading and coordinating the actions of teams of consultants to conduct virtual and/or on-site assessment work and then lead and coordinate the creation of written reports for our client agencies.
• Strong project management skills, with an awareness of budgets, project delivery and resource coordination.
• Is a problem solver who possesses the ability to be flexible as projects unfold to address issues and hurdles that often surface when interacting with clients and stakeholders during a project, to include reorganizing site visits, meeting schedules, travel schedules, etc.
• Listens and hears what people say even when acceptance of their positions is hard.
• Possess strong interpersonal relationship skills to manage a team of consultants as well as interact with numerous stakeholders on our projects, including elected officials, city managers, law enforcement personnel, and community stakeholders and can effectively conduct focus groups and interviews, subsequently identifying and documenting key themes from those focus groups and interviews.
• Demonstrate excellent reading, writing and editing skills, as well as lead the creation of all written deliverables for our client agencies. This includes the ability to digest, summarize, and write comprehensive assessments and reports of findings and recommendations that will become part of a final report that will serve as a roadmap for our clients and for the broader law enforcement community.
BS or Advanced Degree desirable
Expert knowledge in public safety, demonstrated experience influencing and leading teams
Excellent communication skills with abiity to create and deliver presentations to internal teams and clients
Excellent MS Word and report writing skills
Prior experience in commanding position as deputy, deputy chief or related leadership role from public safety industry highly desirable
Position can be located in greater Chicago area or nationwide
Some travel required as individual SME's involvement in the process will vary; however, at times this role will require a commitment to blocks of time to accomplish the work required, such as being on site in a town or city anywhere in the nation for up to three to four days. Ahead of any engagement, SMEs will be informed of the expected level of effort and whether there will be travel dates to identified sites. Due to public health restrictions, most of our work is now conducted virtually via the internet. SMEs will be expected to possess knowledge of engagement tools and have access to the systems to support this virtual work.
Job ID: 2021-1379
External Company URL: https://www.jensenhughes.com
Street: 30 S Wacker Dr