Northwestern University Research Technologist 3 in Chicago, Illinois
Research Technologist 3 participates in design and execution of research lab projects. Conducts experimental tests and procedures and processes and analyzes data. Reviews and revises existing research methodologies and may develop new methodologies, mathematical and/or computer models for predicting data. Ensure overall lab compliance with all associated rules and regulations.
Please note: This position is in Dr. Shilatifard’s lab.
- Following overall research objectives, independently designs, plans, conducts and troubleshoots experiments.
- Evaluates protocols and data obtained from groups of experiments and recommends changes to processes, procedures and techniques to improve quality and validity of results based upon overall project objectives.
- Using an advanced level of skill, completes the following activities:
- Molecular Biology
- DNA, RNA, Protein isolation, purification and expression
- Southern, Northern, Western blotting
- PCR, RT-PCR
- Plasmid preparation
- Cloning, mapping and sequencing of DNA
- Recombinant virus production and purification
- Cellular Biology
- Cell culture, cell isolation
- Functional studies
- Antibody production and purification
- Observes experiments, collects, records, summarizes, analyzes and interprets research data.
- Collates relevant mathematical results.
- Prepares complex tables reflecting relationships of multiple tests.
- Draws scientific conclusions.
- Writes portions of grant applications.
- Co-authors scientific papers.
- Trains and directs other lab EEs and/or students in research techniques and procedures.
- Completes other duties as assigned.
- Successful completion of a full 4-year course of study in an accredited college or university leading to a bachelor's or higher degree in a scientific major or related; OR appropriate combination of education and experience and 3 years' lab/bench or other relevant experience required; OR
- Successful completion of a full course of study in an accredited college or university leading to a master's or higher degree in a scientific major or related; OR appropriate combination of education and experience and 1 year lab/bench or other relevant experience.
As per Northwestern University policy, this position requires a criminal background check. Successful applicants will need to submit to a criminal background check prior to employment.
Northwestern University is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer of all protected classes, including veterans and individuals with disabilities. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are encouraged to apply. Hiring is contingent upon eligibility to work in the United States.
Job ID: 33695
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Job Title: Research Technologist 3