Northwestern University Research Technologist 2 in Chicago, Illinois
Our lab studies cellular stress response transcriptional networks in cancer. We are seeking an exceptionally motivated individual with an interest in cancer biology and/or systems biology. Our technicians have opportunties for independent projects (our former technicians and trainees have gone on to exceptional PhD programs or jobs in the biotechnology industry). We are especially interested in those with experience in either vitro or in vivo models of cancer biology. Those with either experience or a desire to work with high-throughput and/or next-generation sequencing data generation and analysis are also preferred. We strive to create a diverse and civilized working environment where lab members operate with a generous spirit, discussing their newest findings and sharing ideas and expertise with one another.
Conducts experimental research lab work. Assists in design of one or more specific phase(s) of entire project(s). Completes mathematical calculations, and/or computer tasks and/or assists in judging validity of data. Follows appropriate protocols, policies, procedures, regulations, Good Clinical & Good Laboratory Practices.
*Specific Responsibilities: *
- Following protocols, designs, sets-up and conducts basic experiments.
- Analyzes and troubleshoots protocols and data obtained from individual experiments and recommends alternatives and suggestions to improve processes, validity and/or accuracy.
- Using a fully functioning level of skill, completes the following activities:
- Molecular Biology:
- DNA, RNA, Protein isolation, purification and expression Western blotting
- PCR, RT-PCR
- Plasmid preparation
- Recombinant virus production and purification
- Cellular Biology:
- Cell culture, cell isolation
- Maintains detailed records of results which may include collecting, extracting & entering data.
- Manipulates, interprets and/or presents results.
- Prepares charts & graphs for presentations & publications.
- Performs scientific literature searches in support of research.
- Completes portions of grant applications, manuscripts & publications.
- Tracks & summarizes lab supply expenses.
- Verifies accuracy of invoices.
- Orders and/or maintains inventory of reagent, mice and/or lab supplies.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
*Minimum Qualifications: *
- Successful completion of a full 4-year course of study in an accredited college or university leading to a bachelor's or higher degree in a scientific major or related; OR appropriate combination of education and experience.
- Demonstrated laboratory experience;
- Demonstrated ability to follow detailed instructions as required by research protocols;
- Demonstrated computer skills, including spreadsheets and basic computations;
- Attention to detail and accurate record keeping;
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment;
- Manual dexterity.
- We are seeking a highly motivated individual with an interest in genetics, genomics, bioinformatics, and systems biology. We are especially interested in those with experience in next-generation sequencing data generation and analysis.
Northwestern University is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer of all protected classes, including veterans and individuals with disabilities. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are encouraged to apply. Hiring is contingent upon eligibility to work in the United States.
Job ID: 34968
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Job Title: Research Technologist 2