Northwestern University Research Technologist 2 in Chicago, Illinois
This position’s primary focus will be working on Next Generation Sequencing (NGS) within the sequencing core, microarray, and quality assessment on data.
The Research Technologist 3 conducts experimental research lab work and/or assists in design of one or more specific phase(s) of entire project(s). This role may complete mathematical calculations, and/or computer tasks and/or assist in judging validity of data. This position follows appropriate protocols, policies, procedures, regulations, Good Clinical and Good Laboratory Practices.
- Following protocols, designs, sets-up and conducts basic experiments.
- Analyzes and troubleshoots protocols and data obtained from individual experiments and recommends alternatives and suggestions to improve processes, validity and/or accuracy.
- Using a fully functioning level of skill, completes the following activities:
- Molecular Biology:
- Isolation, purification and expression
- PCR, RT-PCR
- Plasmid preparation
- Cloning, mapping and sequencing of DNA
- Next Generation Sequencing (NGS) library prep & processing
- Maintains detailed records of results which may include collecting, extracting & entering data.
- Manipulates, interprets &/or presents results.
- Prepares charts & graphs for presentations & publications.
- Performs scientific literature searches in support of research.
- Completes portions of grant applications, manuscripts & publications.
- Tracks & summarizes lab supply expenses.
- Verifies accuracy of invoices.
- Orders &/or maintains inventory of reagent, mice &/or lab supplies.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Successful completion of a full 4-year course of study in an accredited college or university leading to a bachelor's or higher degree in a scientific major or related; OR appropriate combination of education and experience.
Minimum Competencies: (Skills, knowledge, and abilities.)
- Demonstrated laboratory experience;
- Demonstrated ability to follow detailed instructions as required by research protocols;
- Demonstrated computer skills, including spreadsheets and basic computations;
- Attention to detail and accurate record keeping;
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment;
- Manual dexterity.
Preferred Qualifications: (Education and experience)
- Prior experience in NGS including library prep, sample pooling, Illumina clustering, and sequencing on the HiSeq machine.
- A master’s degree in biology, biochemistry, molecular biology, genetics, IT, or related field.
- Prior hands-on research experience.
- Previous experience in, and expertise, in quality control, LIMS, and material preparations including qPCR, Bio-analyzer profiling, ChIP-seq, RNA-seq, and microarray.
Preferred Competencies: (Skills, knowledge, and abilities)
- Skill/knowledge of Microsoft Office.
- Skill/knowledge of basic computational workflows, and ability to work in Unix/Linux.
- Action oriented - Willing or likely to take practical action to deal with a problem or situation.
- Coachability - Receptive to feedback, willing to learn, embracing continuous improvement.
- Collaboration - Facilitates open and effective communication, cooperation and teamwork within and outside of one's own team.
- Collegiality - Helpful, respectful, approachable; builds strong working relationships and a positive work environment.
- Initiative - Exhibits energy and desire to achieve; sets ambitious goals and acts decisively; takes action that no one has requested to improve or enhance job results and avoid problems.
- Meets deadlines - Displays consistency and success in adhering to deadlines.
- Multi-tasking - Demonstrates ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously.
- Organization - Plans, organizes and schedules in an efficient, productive manner; anticipates contingencies and pays attention to detail.
Northwestern University is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer of all protected classes, including veterans and individuals with disabilities. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are encouraged to apply. Hiring is contingent upon eligibility to work in the United States.
Job ID: 35263
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Job Title: Research Technologist 2