Expedia Principal Engineer - Kubernetes Platform in Chicago, Illinois
The Development Platform & Infrastructure (DP&I) team within Expedia Group strives to provide our internal developer community with the tools and services required to deliver world-class experiences to Expedia customers with as little friction as possible. We’re looking for a Principal Software Development Engineer to join the DP&I family, as part of the Runtime Orchestration Platform team tasked with building a suite of capabilities in the traffic management, container compute and API management spaces.
As a Principal Engineer you will play a key role in crafting the strategic technical goals for our group. The main effort will involve leading the architecture and design of a greenfield project to build a compute runtime platform based on Kubernetes that will be used by all engineering teams across Expedia. This is a large scale project for 5000+ engineers encompassing 500+ Kubernetes clusters. The platform will provide K8 as a service that would be available to the development customers within the company.
As part of this effort, you will propose, prototype, design and implement various core components for a NextGen platform in partnership with teams across the globe. You will provide technical leadership for a dynamic and growing engineering organization. You will work alongside a talented group of product managers, architects, and engineers to deliver best-in-class capabilities to our Expedia developer community, and as a result help shape the future of online travel.
What you’ll do:
- Design, build and support scalable resilient solutions using cloud-based technologies in an iterative agile environment
- Write “glue” code that binds the services together.
- Collaborate across product management, architecture, and engineering teams to deliver capabilities that enable our developer community to function at a high capacity
- Supply thought leadership, architectural and technical direction to product vision and roadmap development and ensure that our technical teams understand their strategic goals.
- Drive proof of concepts and pilots to accelerate the exploration and onboarding of new technologies and solutions to tackle tangible business problems.
- Guide teams in using technologies within our Runtime stack. Technologies we currently use include (but are not limited to) Java, Go, AWS, Docker, Hashicorp Tools (Terraform, Consul, Vagrant, Vault, Nomad), Kubernetes, Istio, and Helm.
Who you are:
- Technical leader with experience mentoring developers and helping to drive engineering maturity
- Excellent hands-on coder who understands and appreciates bigger picture architectural and business concerns.
- Clear communicator with the ability to concisely explain technical details and challenges to a wide variety of audiences in both verbal and written form.
- Solutions provider who uses data and insights to support recommendations and influence decisions
- Creative problem solver with the ability to recognize opportunities to innovate and engage partners in a vision and strategy.
Nice to haves:
- Experience building self-service technology platform capabilities, and are interested in the container compute, traffic management or API management space(s).
- BS or MS in Computer Science or related engineering field.
Benefits & Perks:
- Competitive health and insurance benefits
- Competitive salary
- Annual target bonus or commission
- Parental leave for up to 20 weeks (dependent on eligibility)
- Paid vacation and sick time
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Free snacks and beverages
- Frequent company update talks with our leadership team
- Free listing on vrbo.com
- Electronic, adjustable stand-up desk
- Discounted Metro & Rail pass
- Casual dress
Why join us
Expedia Group recognizes our success is dependent on the success of our people. We are the world's travel platform, made up of the most knowledgeable, passionate, and creative people in our business. Our brands recognize the power of travel to break down barriers and make people's lives better – that responsibility inspires us to be the place where exceptional people want to do their best work and to provide them with tools to do so.
Whether you're applying to work in engineering or customer support, marketing or lodging supply, at Expedia Group we act as one team, working towards a common goal; to bring the world within reach. We relentlessly strive for better, but not at the cost of the customer. We act with humility and optimism, respecting ideas big and small. We value diversity and voices of all volumes. We are a global organization but keep our feet on the ground so we can act fast and stay simple. Our teams also have the chance to give back on a local level and make a difference through our corporate social responsibility program, Expedia Cares.
If you have a hunger to make a difference with one of the most loved consumer brands in the world and to work in the dynamic travel industry, this is the job for you.
Our family of travel brands includes: Brand Expedia®, Hotels.com®, Expedia® Partner Solutions, Egencia®, trivago®, HomeAway®, Orbitz®, Travelocity®, Wotif®, lastminute.com.au®, ebookers®, CheapTickets®, Hotwire®, Classic Vacations®, Expedia® Media Solutions, CarRentals.com™, Expedia Local Expert®, Expedia® CruiseShipCenters®, SilverRail Technologies, Inc., ALICE and Traveldoo®.
Expedia is committed to creating an inclusive work environment with a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. This employer participates in E-Verify. The employer will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) with information from each new employee's I-9 to confirm work authorization.
- Posted 30+ Days Ago
- Full time